Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Non dairy yogurt


In this post, I would like to share my non-diary yoghurt recipe. I do not consume dairy products for many years, but still still I miss the taste of yoghurt! Why do I do it? Because dairy diet no longer serves so many benefits as it was used to think. And I believe humans are the only “animals” (I mean social "animals") who are still consuming the milk during adulthood. As far as calcium, we may benefit so much more from greens like spinach, kale and grains like sesame seeds. Many people have lactose intolerance. Also, milk  products make the body produce more mucous and lowers the blood Ph, which is the perfect soil for infections. There is plenty controversial information between medical and non-medical communities about milk consumption. However, this post is not about it.  I choose not to consume dairy products and if you do so, here comes my non-diary yoghurt recipe.
First, let me say, that I tried this recipe in for at least five times until it came into something that tasted and looked like yoghurt. I tried different non-dairy milk products like cashew, almond and came up to the conclusion that coconut milk or even coconut cream is the best option for non-dairy yoghurt.
Coconut has the highest amount of saturated fat from 20 to 60% depending on the brand and type you choose; that’s why it is a perfect candidate for yoghurt ( in terms of consistency and ability to thicken). In comparison almond milk and cashew milk has between 16% to 25 % saturated fats.
You will need:
    1 can of coconut milk or cream (choose it if you like thicker consistency) if you buy coconut milk bag  then 2 cups
    2 tablespoons of chia seeds
    1 sheet of unflavored gelatin
    1 tablespoon of plain Greek yoghurt
    1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup
    A splash of lemon juice
    5-10 drops of vanilla extract

NOTE: very important to follow the directions and check the temperature.
If your coconut milk is very high in fat, dilute it with water. Depending how thick yoghurt you want. I like it pretty thick, so for the can of coconut milk, I add only  ½ can of water.
Warm it up on the stove to 176 °F (80 °C). It is very important NOT to boil it. Take it off the stove and cool it to 104 °F (40 °C). After few failures, I started using kitchen thermometer.
In a mean time dilute the gelatin into warm 1/3 cup water. Add it into a COOLED OFF coconut milk
Add chia seeds, maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla extract,  stir everything.
Keep it at a room temperature for 8 hours ( this is a process when yoghurt bacteria kicks in) then refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
Here it comes! Bone appetite!

Recourse:


No comments:

Post a Comment